Thursday, August 2, 2012

Where am I?

I'm the photographer in our house.  In fact, I've always been the photographer.  When I was little, I loved borrowing my parents camera and snapping pictures of just about everything.  I'm sure they were thrilled to develop a 36 exposure roll that had 35 pictures of the dog, and one of the cat... In college I was never without a disposable camera. I'd diligently head to the CVS on Court St. to get the film developed (in triplicate) after a night out. I'd spend the one hour wait hoping I wasn't blinking in every picture. Now with digital cameras there is that instant gratification, and endless retakes.  In hindsight, it's probably best that there isn't much digital "evidence" of college...

I'm the one that lugs our big DSLR camera around "just in case" there is a photo-op where a camera phone just won't do. I can't stand people that only take pictures of their kids on their cellphone. Sure, it looks great - on your phone...but in an 8x10 frame, not so much.  My neighbors probably think I'm nuts running down the sidewalk taking pictures of Colin pushing his cars. Or laying on the driveway to get that "perfect shot" as he speeds by with his lawnmower. Pat groans every time I reach for the camera. "Again? Really?" I take thousands of pictures of the boys every month yet, I'm rarely in any of them. My Auntie T gave Pat and I a stern lecture at Colin's 1st Birthday Party regarding this exact topic.  We both promised we'd make an effort.

If you look though our photos from the last few years, you'd literally think I didn't exist! There's a picture of Pat and Colin picking out pumpkins, or a picture of Pat and Colin playing in the snow, or dressed for an Ohio State game.  Pat and Colin at a baseball game, and playing at the park, opening presents on Christmas morning.  The list goes on and on. And on. And on.

WHERE AM I?

I'll tell you where I am. Behind the lens, painstakingly documenting every milestone and moment, from every possible angle. Because life moves fast, kids grow up, and we forget. Unless of course, there is a photograph.

For the most part I don't mind not being in pictures. I'm not photogenic...at all. I feel like I always look awkward, chubby, or dazed. However, I realize the importance of taking pictures WITH the kids and not just OF the kids. Someday they will look back on the photos and they will remember how young, happy, and carefree we looked together. And did I mention young? I'm pushing 32 here people...I buy wrinkle cream! Let's document now before extensive photo shop editing is required for every picture.

So, I've tried to make it a point to be in more pictures this year. I hand the camera over to Pat as often as he will tolerate it, and if someone asks to take pictures of me and the kids, I say "YES, YES, YES", even if I don't have make-up on.

Many many many thanks to one of my oldest friends Shelley for capturing these moments with my boys!








Oh dear Lord.  Please tell me that isn't a gray hair I see in the last picture.  Photo shop - STAT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment