Sunday, August 12, 2012

I'm Lovin' It

Saturday morning was a McDonald's breakfast kind of morning.

The night before, Pat and I went out on a date... for first time since last November.  Needless to say, the Indians game, drinks at Greenhouse Tavern, dinner at Lola, and then a few hours gambling at the Horseshoe Casino did us in.  Oh, and a quick stop at Taco Bell on the way home - how could I forget that (wink, wink)? Exhausted, we rolled in around 12:30. When did we get so old? And maybe more importantly, when did two beers and two hot dogs at a ballgame cost $27? The night was much needed. We even managed to talk about plenty of things that didn't involve our kids.  You know...like what we were going to order for dinner, how to play craps, and what we'd name our next kid (which, technically isn't talking about "our kids"). 

So, when both boys were up before the sun (correction: hours before the sun came up) the golden arches and a large diet coke with no ice was calling my name.  So I packed up Colin and hopped into the car. Since we're the epitome of healthy eating, as soon as Colin realized where we were going he let out an enthusiastic "Yaaaay - McDonalds!"

I asked my little toddler what he wanted to eat (bad idea).

"Chidkfsdalkf nuggets?"  He chirped back at me.

I gently reminded him that it was only 6:30am. 

"I. Want.  Chissdjfdjfh nuggets."

What about hotcakes?  You love hotcakes! 

"Yaaaaay - Cupcakes"

Crap.

$10 and some change later we were on our way back home.  He clamored up to his spot at the kitchen table, sucked down some "milkshake" (really a smoothie) and looked eagerly into the bag. When I pulled out the hotcakes, a look of confusion flashed across his face.  Then, the lip came out. 

"Cupcakes?  Cupcakes?  Nuggets? Nuggets?".  He whimpered as he flailed his arms in the air.

Hmmm.  He didn't forget. 

Trying to reason with a two year old who thinks he's getting cupcakes and chicken nuggets before 7am was not something I dared take on before my diet coke had a chance to work it's magic. 

Then a small miracle happened.  Colin noticed the hash brown on my plate. 

"A chiccccikenn nugget!" he squealed, and then grabbed and took a huge bite, probably while thinking - why has this woman been holding out on me??  A huge smile spread across his face, as he chompped away.

Completely satisfied, and completely oblivious that it was in fact not a chicken nugget.  Not even close.  Unfortunately the illusion didn't last long, and he eyes locked on a small bag of Cheetos in the pantry.

Double crap.

And that my friends, is what he had for breakfast.  He actually managed to find something worse for breakfast than McDonalds. 



During nap time, I cracked open the book that I bought for our beach getaway in a few weeks:  French Kids Eat Everything:  How our family moved to France, cured picky eating, banned snacking, and discovered 10 simple rules for raising happy, healthy eaters".  For $13 and some change, I seriously hope this read prevents another Cheetos for breakfast debacle.





 

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...I love it! It's like breakfast from our college days - except you forgot to give him Mt. Dew!! ;)

    I did a similar thing yesterday morning. I thought perhaps some sugar would send me into labor, so I ran to Tim Horton's and bought some doughnuts and Timbits. Now, we are a little silly (Mac has not yet had chicken nuggets at age 2... we need to change that) and he had not yet had a doughnut. We're lame. So anyway he scarfed about five Timbits and begged for them all day. He was in heaven. So worth it!!! (And I just got a headache from the sugar!)

    ReplyDelete