Apparently the Beirne boys.
Both of them high-five the crap out of the cow at Chick-fil-A, but Santa? Oh, apparently he's the scariest guy they've ever seen. Tears, pouts, quivering lips, and a few "I want my moooomy's" later and this was the result.
While mentally working through my to-do list tonight, I noticed Colin playing out of the corner of my eye. With just the light of the fire Pat built in the fireplace to brighten the room, Colin was making shadow figures/animals? on the wall. And it hit me. Throughout the course of the day, both boys essentially ignored the bins, baskets, and piles of toys that litter our house. Jack was completely entertained by a box of macaroni and cheese, shaking it with gusto! Then, he moved on to the Tupperware drawer, where he gleefully dumped the contents. Once that was complete, he found the colanders, and so on. Colin? He kept himself amused by blowing bubbles, coloring, and running around the house in circle (with a few somersaults thrown in for good measure).
At Christmas we tend to get carried away. We create these elaborate lists of toys, games, and things we that we absolutely, positively need. I won't even get started on the ideas from Pinterest that only someone with unlimited funds, square footage, and time could actually execute...
Santa is love, and hope, and happiness, and magic. While I want to see the excitement in the boys eyes as they see the presents under the tree on Christmas morning, what I want more this Christmas is to begin creating memories, traditions, and dare I say it, magic during the holiday season. While Colin won't remember that LeapPad2 or train set he got when he was two...I want him to remember the things we did together as a family.
So, as I create our Christmas list this year, after the toys, books, and games, I'll list out the activities, experiences, and photo ops that will begin to mold our family Christmas traditions. And if Jack's a really good boy, I may even just wrap up a box of macaroni and cheese for him!
** As inspiration for my Christmas list, I'd love to hear your holiday traditions, please share! **
No comments:
Post a Comment