I can't say it was brotherly love at first sight...but over the past 11 months, the Beirne boys have gone from brothers to best friends (most of the time).
When Colin yells..."Jackie....C'mon Jackie!" Jack crawls as fast as he possibly can to where ever Colin is leading him. Usually it means going upstairs to play for about 2 minutes, then downstairs for about 45 seconds, then right back up again. Panting, Jack follows him, just happy to be included in the chaos.
He squeals in delight when Colin smashes his cheeks together and declares "chubby cheeks!", and laughs uncontrollably when Colin "tickles" him Which in turn, makes Colin laugh uncontrollably.
Note: "tickle" is in quotes because Colin might possibly be the worlds worst tickler - the coordination just isn't there...
They play ball (which usually involves Colin stealing the ball away from Jack and running around the house with it...), but nonetheless, Jack's along for the ride.
Colin sings Jack songs, makes sure he has a toy to play with in the car, and even hands over a bite when he tries to steal his snack. Have I mentioned Jack is 26 lbs? The kids always hungry. And your bothers snack is always better than your own....
He protectively slams the bathroom door shut when it's open because "Jackie can't play in there" and as he devours a cookie, makes sure to let me know that "Jack eats cheerios, not cookies".
I worried that there wouldn't be enough love and attention to go around with two kids in our family, and I've been proven wrong time and time again.
Jack is Colin's shadow. He eagerly copies everything he does, and soaks up any attention pointed his way. Jack's taught us all a lot in a short time. He's helped us learn to share (both our snacks, and our time). He's encouraged us to be more patient (it just takes longer to do anything with two kids - why rush?), and most importantly, he's reminded us that time goes quickly, and to cherish, relish, and enjoy each and every milestone, event, and moment - even the ordinary ones.
And...today, I was reminded that Colin isn't always happy to have a little brother tag along everywhere he goes. Case in point; the photos below, which occurred about 20 minutes after I typed up the first part of this blog post....
After Colin body-slammed him, he said, "Sorry Corn dog, My turn."
Little does Colin know...those four pounds that separate them will vanish in a matter of months, the tides will turn...and I'm pretty sure Jack's been taking notes.



No comments:
Post a Comment