Friday, May 11, 2012

Following the Rules

I'm a rule-follower. 

On Tuesday morning, after a particularly rough drop-off at day-care, I was running late to work (even though I will point out I was still in the office about 30 minutes before everyone else in my department).  My usual area of the parking garage was full (thanks Casino...) so I drove around, and attempted to pull my Jeep into a spot that was certainly not wide enough.  I heard a loud uncomfortable crunch, and panicked.  I think I literally blacked-out for a second.  I looked around, didn't see anyone, and drove to another area to park. I sat in my car for about 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do.  I frantically emailed Pat explaining what happened, and he wrote back immediately - don't do anything! 

I probably had a similar look on my face as I attempted to park my Jeep...

So, I walked up to my office, sat at my desk, and felt waves of guilt rush over me. 

Like I said.  I'm a rule-follower.

Ten minutes later I was walking back down to the parking garage, paper and pen in hand to leave my number on the mini-van I crushed.  I imagined being greeted by a police officer who was tipped off on my hit-and-run.

Instead, I saw the huge crack in the bumper of a gold Honda Odessey, with a catholic school sticker on the back.  I scribbled my note, and started walking back to my office, feeling slightly sick at the thought of my new insurance premium, but also releif that I had done the right thing.

And then....a bird pooped on me. 

Seriously. All down my leg.  Disgusting.

I go and do the right thing, and this is what I get?  Nasty pigeon poop on my black slacks? My co-workers assured me that this was good luck, and I suppose the fact that the bird got my leg and not my head proves that point. 


Then, not 20 minutes later I got a call from day-care.  Colin struck again, and bit one of his friends.  His teacher said immediately after biting he panicked and started saying, "bite food, bite food, bite food".  The little voice in his head told him what he did was wrong.  Even though I should have been upset that he took a bite out of his buddy, I was proud that he's learning the difference between right and wrong.  As a parent, I think it's our responsibility to ensure our children have a strong set of morals, and part of that is leading by example. 

Two days later, I spoke with the owner of the mini-van and filed my insurance claim.  She couldn't have been nicer.  She was grateful that I'd left and note and said "what goes around comes around".  And...since my tank of a Jeep wasn't damaged I didn't even have to pay my deductible (score!).

Hopefully I have karma on my side for awhile. Which might be a good thing, because I googled "is a bird pooping on you good luck" - and the answer was: "It's one of those things people say to make you feel better - like saying it's good luck if it rains on your wedding day."

No comments:

Post a Comment