Pat is responsible for the letter "Y" obsession.
Colin won't watch tv. In fact, he's never watched more than about five minutes of tv at any given time in his entire life.
However, he will watch songs on You Tube. For as long as you will allow it. Until you shut the computer and drag him away from the heavily finger-printed screen kicking and screaming. Sigh.
Most of the tunes he watches are Elmo songs ("Bye, Bye, Binkey", "Riding My Tricycle", "Elmo's Song") or Irish songs ("Galway Girl", "Whistling Gypsy Rover") or even the occasional video of construction trucks . However, one fateful day, Pat stumbled across the song that changed Colin's life forever: "Y I Love the Letter Y". With lines lines like, "I can do yoga with a yo-yo right here in my yard" or "I can eat yogurt on a yam, knitting yellow yarn with a yawning yak" how could he not fall in love with the letter Y?
Currently the song has 2,434,008 views on You Tube. I'd be willing to wager that about 2,004 of them came from this very laptop. Maybe more.
At first, he just wanted to listen to the Y song. Again, and again, and again (please picture Colin saying "again" in a little Canadian accent). Then he started noticing Y's in the world around him, and the obsession grew.
So, here are my favorite Colin "Y"-isms:
- When asked to spell his name, Colin says: C-O-L-Y-N. He knows perfectly well the correct spelling of his name.
- During Wheel of Fortune, he gets angry when they call letters other than Y.
- Trader Joe's sells cookies in the shape of letters. There are about 3 Y's (max) in every container. Guess who only wants to eat the letter "Y" cookies? We buy 5 containers at a time to avoid meltdowns.
- He carried around a small magnetic Y for weeks. I had to buy another set of small magnetic letters because the first Y got lost.
- While driving, Colin can spot any Y on a sign (Best Buy, CVS Pharmacy, 4-Way Stop, Lumber Yard, Speedway).
- If you ask Colin what is favorite letter is, he yell's YYYYYYY! I didn't think this one was that odd until Colin's friend Anna was over last weekend, and I asked her what her favorite letter was. She looked at me like I had three heads and said I don't have a favorite letter.
- You've never heard a more enthusiastic "Y" when Colin sings his ABC's.
- When coloring Easter eggs tonight, we showed Colin how to use a white crayon to write a secret message on the egg. What did Colin write? You guessed it. "Y".
- For a special treat, I baked Colin cookies in the shape of the letter "Y". He was so excited this morning he had two (or three) for breakfast.
Y do I love the letter Y? It proves once again, that it's the simple things in life. That one letter brings a lot of excitement and happiness to Colyn. Is it too late to change his birth certificate?
No comments:
Post a Comment