Friday, October 19, 2012

Who Needs Socks Anyway?


In the spirit of the organized over-achiever, when Colin started day-care I was determined to have our new morning routine down to a science. I mean, really - with a little organization it would be a snap to get out of the door every morning, right?  (ha) Sunday evenings I'd lay out his wardrobe for the entire week.  Shirt, shorts, socks, you name it.  He looked so cute when I dropped him off.  Ten hours later when I returned, he would be patiently waiting, just as I'd left him, but sans socks.  I tried to "act cool" for a few weeks and pretend that it didn't bother me, but you know what?  It did!  I had carefully selected a complete outfit, and he was never wearing it when he came home! Plus, you have to remember as a new mom, you're paranoid that your baby is cold, even in July. We like to bundle them up!

When I finally got up the nerve to inquire, his teacher informed me that one of the older kids was a sock "thief" and found great pleasure in pulling the socks off the little babies feet! I had to laugh at that one...and immediately stopped bothering to put socks on Colin in the mornings. It was July and all. How cold could feet possibly get in 90 degree temps?

And, a few short months later, Colin would be doing the same exact thing...although he added blanket and binkey stealing to his repertoire. 
 
Newborn Jack's baby feet
 The allure of going barefoot must have made a lasting impact on Colin, because to this day, unless there are shoes on his feet, he flat out refuses to wear socks.  I'm talking, in the dead of winter, three feet of snow on the ground, negative 20 degrees...and Colin's running around the house on tile floor with no socks, not phased in the least. Or sleeping without socks at night, with his blankets kicked off.  Brrrrr! Wearing crocs this summer was the greatest treat for him (and me) - no socks! In Colin's book, socks are overrated. Who needs 'em anyway?

Getting him dressed, I practically have to bribe him to wear socks with his sneakers. I think I break some sort of Guinness record every morning because you've never seen someone pin a toddler down and put socks and shoes on as fast as me.  You have to be quick.

Immediately upon entering the house after a day at pre-school he can't get his socks off fast enough.He's also bound and determined to ensure that Jack lives a life without socks.  As soon as he's taken off his footwear, he makes a beeline for Jack's feet and throws his socks up in the air laughing as he pulls them off!

Colin (left), Jack (right)  at 1 month old, wearing bear socks, for about 30 seconds...just long enough to snap the picture
If you really think about it, if we didn't have to wear socks everyday, laundry would be a breeze.  Managing the laundry for a household of four people is a challenge in itself.  Managing the laundry for two little boys with what seems like hundreds of pint-sized socks is a nightmare. Matching, rolling, and folding 20+ pairs of itty bitty baby and toddler socks each week is a job in itself. Our unmatched sock pile is growing exponentially.  Where do they go? What should I do with all these unmatched socks?! 

I guess the only saving grace is that 90% of their socks are white and essentially the same. I can't even imagine having to actually coordinate baby girl socks... Pink, lavender, socks that look like ballet slippers, stripes, polka dots, and so on.  Yep, boy socks are pretty easy.  They might be boring, but I'll take an easy win where I can get one these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment