Saturday, October 13, 2012

Out of my Comfort Zone

Today started off like most Saturdays at our house.  Around 7, I heard a thump, a door open, then close, and the pitter patter of two little feet stumble into our bedroom.  "Mommy, time to wake up - let's play trucks". Jack was up a few minutes later, not one to miss any of the fun. And, about an hour or so after that Pat joined the chaos. Pretty typical, although usually it's closer to a 6am wake-up call.  I like typical.  I like repetition, schedules, and familiarity. But today; on three separate occasions, I completly stepped out of my comfort zone.  You have to do it sometimes, or life will get boring and predictable.

#1 - Digging through the racks
This morning I attended my very first "Kids Closet".  Sort of like a garage sale full of kids clothes/toys/gear, but on steroids.  The kind of steroids Lance Armstrong probably took to win all of those Tour de Frances.  For those that know me.  I'm not a digger.  I don't go to T.J. Maxx, I don't like boutiques, garage sales, or the thought of buying used anything.  I like the Internet.  I like The Gap.  Simple, straightforward, organized by style/color/size. If I find something that works, I buy it in multiple colors, and sizes.  But, I'm cheap, and I love a good deal, and the allure of saving a few pennys won out.  So I hesitantly walked up to the door, paid my $5 entrance fee, and within about 30 seconds wished I was still at home in my pj's.  Crazy women with bags and hangers and ugly clothes were running everywhere.  Furiously picking through racks and racks of unorganized clothes.  With one eyebrow raised, I walked through gym cautiously reviewing the merchandise.  I'd all but given up, until in the very back corner I hit the jackpot - all boys clothes, organized by size/season, and bin after bin of Baby Gap. And the best part?  Everything was only $2!  Triumphantly (and only $50 later), I hefted a bag of my own out of the gym.  And wouldn't you know it.  The $0.50 truck books that I bought at the very end because I found two quarters in my pocket were the biggest hit of all.  Colin even took them to bed with him tonight. 

#2 - It's raining hay
Back in June I took Colin to a local farm to pick strawberries.  He brings it up all ALL the time.  "Remember, when we picked strawberries?  And I had a basket?  And I ate them?"  So, even though I'd much rather go to Petittis and buy a perfectly round, not-muddy pumpkin, I obliged, and packed up the mini-van once again, this time on a quest for the perfect pumpkin.  I don't like nature, or farms, or hay.  But, I took one for the team and off we went.  Six dollars later, we were on the tractor headed out to the pumpkin patch.  While i don't remember it raining this week, the patch sure was muddy.  Colin ran from pumpkin to pumpkin, laughing, tripping, and falling in the mud.  While I thought he'd be excited to pick a pumpkin, what seemed to catch his attention more was the handful of smashed pumpkins.  "Ooooooh noooo!  What happened?" he'd exclaim when he's come across a pancaked pumpkin.  "The squirrels ate it!" He had the pick of the patch, walked every single row, and wouldn't you know it, when the tractor came back to pick us up, and he had to make his final decision, he walked away with the smallest, dinkiest pumpkin on the lot.  He was proud of his pumpkin, and happily showed the farmer his selection.  The guy gave me a look, and grabbed another pumpkin for me and loaded it on the wagon.  It was at this point that Colin realized that he could make the hay "rain" and started throwing it everywhere.  As my allergies kicked into high gear, I couldn't do anything but laugh at the situation.  Colin was beaming, and completely covered in hay.




#3 - Always low prices
Walmart might always have low prices, but they always make me wish I never stepped foot in their store.  I can't help it. I'm a Target girl.  If you shop at Target, you can't also shop at Walmart.  But...they have 1-hour photo processing, and in a weak moment at work this week I ordered Halloween cards.  Who does that, right?  Let me tell you.  If you 're not a Walmart shopper to begin with, never (and I repeat) never, go there at 3pm on a Saturday.  I picked up my photos and a case of diet coke and beelined for the check-out. It took (what seemed) like hours.  For the record, who still pays for anything with checks?  Oh, the two people in front of me.  The third paid in cash, in one dollar bills, for her $88 purchase. OMG.

Lessons learned: It's worth a little sweat (and tears) to get a good deal on kids clothes.  Zyrtec cures the hay ride aftermath, and finally, avoid Walmart at all costs. 

The rest of the day didn't deviate a bit from our normal Saturday plans, and I relished every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment