Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mini Vans and New Years Resolutions

A few years back an old boss of mine (and I quote) said "mini-vans are hot...in five years you'll be driving one".  He was much, much older (probably 32 at the time) and I just couldn't even fathom the possibility.  It seemed like a lifetime away.

Then I met Pat.  At 23 years old he drove a Saturn Vue. The Vue had juice box holders in the back seat, a grocery caddy in the trunk, and a license plate that said DAD-6574 (or some variety of numbers).  These were "standard features", and a "random" license plate assignment he argued, while in the next breath mused about owning a mini-van for our four kids.  Again, this seemed like a lifetime away.

I've never been more wrong.

Life moves fast. Really fast. So fast in fact that in a few blinks of the eye I realized I've spent the last nine years in corporate America, celebrated the second anniversary of my 29th birthday, married the man who drove the "dad-mobile", bought a four-bedroom home in the suburbs, and started raising two boys!

Which brings me to this blog. Instead of my normal New Years Resolution of learning how to wink and/or ordering from a menu without substituting/adding/deleting ingrediants, I decided to choose something new for 2012.  First thought, I'll actually develop the thousands of pictures I take each month and put them in albums.  Then, my over-acheiving, type-A mind started racing...what if on top of developing pictures, I scrapbooked them?  I could create detailed books filled with our family memories and anecdotes. I envisioned presenting the carefully preserved books to my boys on their 18th birthdays. 

Crash, burn, and one big epic fail later, I forgot that I hate scrapbooking.  And 18 year old boys probably hate scrapboks even more...

So, a blog it is. I don't have to use any tape, colored paper, or stickers, yet I can still put my thoughts and pictures together in an organized format with the ability to spell-check before I post. I'm getting a late start on this resolution as it's already almost April, but I'll chalk it up to the chaos of my two boys.

So here begins my journey. 

Oh, and as for the mini-van?  In the rare moments where I let my mind wander, I fantasize about the sheer joy of trading in my Jeep Commander for a sleek (and dare I say "hot") mini van.

1 comment:

  1. Don't hate on the Vue! I know it has been good to me. Look forward to reading this! It's like meeting up for lunch everyday.

    ReplyDelete