As adults we're jaded. We've been there, done that. We've seen it all.
I think one of the greatest gifts we get from our children is being able to experience life though a fresh set of eyes. To them, life is an uncharted adventure. Every day brings about something they've never seen before.
I'll never forget the look on Colin's face when he first noticed the ceiling fan in his bedroom. It was a warm June afternoon when he was about 12 weeks old. I turned on the fan and he caught a glimpse of the swirling white blades out of the corner of his eye. He face went from surprise, to amazement to joy! He squealed, smiled, and was enthralled with the ceiling fan. It was at that moment, that I realized that my life was changed. Something as simple and ordinary as a ceiling fan has just brought my child so much happiness.
It's easy to pass these moments by. As parents we get caught up in the major "milestones". However, that ceiling fan helped me realize that these other "milestones", while simple in nature, are just as sweet.
I had forgotten about that day until earlier this week. Jack was sitting in his bouncy chair in the kitchen while we got dinner ready. In an attempt to keep him entertained, Pat reached up and gave the ceiling fan a good spin. In sheer delight, Colin screamed and laughed, just like he did almost two years ago. Jack sat there unfazed, but I know there will be many times in the coming months and years where seemingly simple and ordinary events will elicit a smile, or if I'm really lucky, a deep belly laugh.

No comments:
Post a Comment