Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Best $4.99 We'll Spend All Summer

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Most toys are overrated.  All the "must-have" items from Christmas have long been discarded, covered in dust in the basement. The boys are fickle. They move on quickly.  And, when it comes down to it, they don't need much. 
 
I'm convinced the less you spend on something, the more kids like it.  Ninety-nine cent squirt guns illicit more squeals and laughter than their expensive counterparts. A rubber duck brought home from a baby shower is the main source of entertainment during bath time.  Sidewalk chalk, bubbles, a bucket of water, it goes on and on. 
 
 
 Cue the Walgreens seasonal aisle... 
 
Now, we've had a few questionable purchases here in the past. The fake lizards.  The life-sized inflatable hamster ball (a.k.a. the spaceship).  The fire truck with the loudest siren possible, it goes on and on.
 
However, on this specific jaunt, Pat stumbled on a $4.99 container of water balloons, and immediately put them in his basket.  Bingo.
 
 
Other than the fact that there are constantly little pieces of green and purple water balloon shreds in our lawn, they've been the best purchase of the summer.  The boys will do anything for water balloons. 
 
Eat their dinner?  Clean up their toys? Pose for a picture?  Check, check, and check. 
 



And after about the first 75 or so, I found the attachment for the faucet. Game changer.
 
 
 
Almost every evening, we venture out to the backyard. As fast as I can fill and tie the balloons, the boys run, jump, and toss them to the ground.  Hysterical laughter ensues.  They chase each other. They dance around. And after a few minutes they are drenched, which on some nights doubles for their bath. 
  

I'm fairly certain this was the best $4.99 we'll spend all summer... Which, now that I'm thinking about it, means I need to stock up and buy a few more containers.  The Walgreens seasonal aisle will be stocked with Halloween treats before we know it...it is July afterall. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment