The Beirne's (just like their names) love tradition. Every holiday has the same menu, the same location, and the same stories. It isn't Christmas Eve if we're not at Uncle Jim's house, eating Aunt Kate's chicken a la king, while telling the same stories about their grandpa Jack...and and of course listening to the same Cd's (first Rolling Stones, then Irish music) Some call it predictable. I like to think of it as comfortable. You can always count on Brian's "famous" green bean casserole on Thanksgiving or a glass with green stick onions on the kitchen counter, and don't forget the blueberry pie on Father's Day.
And then there's the "Green and Red of Mayo".
One of the best memories I have from our wedding day, was when our family and friends encircled Pat and I on the dance floor. Swaying back and forth, and belting out every single word to that iconic Irish ballad. I remember looking around, and seeing my oldest friends, and my newest family members, feeling so much love and so much happiness.
The Green and Red of Mayo
I can see it still
Its soft and craggy bog lands
Its tall majestic hills
Where the ocean kisses Ireland
And the waves caress its shore
The feeling it came over me
To stay forever more
Forever more
I can see it still
Its soft and craggy bog lands
Its tall majestic hills
Where the ocean kisses Ireland
And the waves caress its shore
The feeling it came over me
To stay forever more
Forever more
This past Saturday, when we welcomed Erin into the family, this same image was recreated (only I was about 15lbs. heaver, in a black dress, and now part of the sweaty swaying circle). As I yelled out those words I know by heart, I looked around at my family, tears in my eyes, and found comfort that while this world is constantly changing around us, that traditions in our family will go on "forever more".

No comments:
Post a Comment