Colin noticed the pockets on his shorts the other day.
I guess when you're two, it's something that is easily overlooked. Sort of like the green beans (or anything healthy for that matter) on your plate at dinner. Your eyes just skim right past those, and focus on the delicious hot dog, cut into perfect bite sized cylinders. Now that I think about it, really anything that involves some sort of effort to cook is usually passed up. But, boy oh boy, give Colin a piece of American cheese or a cup of applesauce and he acts like it's the best thing since sliced bread (which for the record he won't eat because "bread is for ducks").
In general toddlers are pretty oblivious to things. In a good way though. I mean really, where do they think we "go" when playing Peak-A-Boo? Or, how do they not notice that huge trail of snot running down their nose? We joke that toddlers like playing with the boxes and wrapping paper more than the actual presents that we spent top dollar on, but we've all seen it first hand. Just this morning, the box for our new microwave kept Colin entertained longer than an episode of Bob the Builder! Side note: We're on day four of no microwave - it's been an adventure in itself to cook without one!
They don't notice if they are wearing a $20 baby gap t-shirt or their older brothers hand-me-downs, because at the end of the day, it will be covered in food, drool, and dirt regardless of the price tag.
Oh, and speaking of dirt. Again, oblivious. A goldfish cracker falls to the ground? No worries, they don't mind picking it up and popping it in their mouths. Last weekend after "helpin'" Pat in the garden, Colin looked at me with complete confusion when I hosed him off before carrying him inside for lunch. Apparently he didn't notice that he was literally covered head to toe in dirt, mud, and grass stains...
They are blissfully unaware of the stress of paying bills,getting to daycare on time each evening, and the American health care system. They won't have to learn the word "homework" for another four years,and all their shoes have Velcro straps.
Life is good. It's simple.
Everyday lends to a new experience, because at two years old, there's still a lot to learn!
They notice the little things.
So, back to the pockets. Now that Colin made this "discovery" it provides seemingly endless entertainment for him. He will put his hand in his pocket and then exclaim, "What happened? Where did my hand go?" while running around the room. Then, acting surprised yell out "I found it! My hand was in my pocket".Or sometimes he hops around the room exclaiming "Stuck! My hand is stuck!" and then proceeds to spend the next few minutes dramatically pulling his hand out of the pocket.
Shorts without pockets? Oh, they are still there, they are just "hidin'."
I read a quote the other day, and I'm sure I'll butcher it, but the gist was, listen to your kids everyday, even when they are talking about what seems like the littlest things, so when they get older they will talk to you about the big things. Because to them...they've always been talking to you about the big things.
I'm looking forward to Colin's next BIG discovery!
The other night, Mac really wanted to go to the park on his trike, and I was quickly frustrated because he would not let me push him and he stopped every five feet to pick up something, point at something, turn around and ask me something. I quickly remembered your post a few weeks ago (about going around the block...slowly!) and immediately calmed down and started to enjoy every discovery he made, and every inquiry he made. What a difference my attitude adjustment made in my enjoying the evening that much more. :)
ReplyDelete